Hello, fellow cookie enthusiasts! We are here, bringing you a delightful coastal spin on the classic gingerbread men with a simple gingerbread cookie recipe. Let’s dive into this easy, yet oh-so-flavorful recipe that’ll add a touch of seaside charm to your holiday festivities.
‘Tis the season to welcome the sweet symphony of Christmas cookie delights, and what better star to grace our festive trays than the iconic gingerbread cookie? Decked out in adorable icing faces, candy bowties, and buttons, these charming cookies steal the show with their festive flair.
But hold onto your holiday hats because we’re about to sprinkle a touch of coastal magic into this beloved tradition. Picture the whimsy of gingerbread meeting the breezy allure of the seashore, creating not just cookies but edible masterpieces infused with a coastal twist. Get ready to set sail on a culinary adventure where the warmth of ginger meets the cool embrace of the coast!
Crafting Coastal Cookie Cuties
Our journey begins with the basics—soft, perfectly spiced gingerbread cookies. Start by combining softened butter, brown sugar, molasses, an egg, and vanilla extract. Gradually introduce a mix of all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and a symphony of spices: ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Chill the dough for at least 3 hours, or let it rest overnight for a burst of flavor.
Riding the Flavor Wave
While many recipes opt for tons of flour to combat sticky dough, we’re taking a different route. A bit of patience—chilling the dough—ensures easy-to-make gingerbread men bursting with flavor. Picture a perfect blend of spices with a subtle buttery note that balances everything out beautifully.
Rolling with the Tides
When it’s time to bring these coastal cuties to life, generously flour your workspace and roll out the dough to a quarter-inch thickness. Now, the fun part—cookie cutters! Whether it’s gingerbread men, mermaids, seashells, or waves, let your creativity flow. Bake for 8-10 minutes, and voila, you’ve got a batch of perfectly shaped cookies ready to charm.
Coastal Creativity Unleashed
Embrace the coastal spirit by decorating these gingerbread wonders. Dive into the world of edible art—icing faces, mermaid tails, and fishes. Go traditional or add a seaside twist with mermaids and seashells. The choice is yours!
Sealing the Coastal Culinary Deal
As you relish the coastal vibes, remember the key ingredients that make these cookies a hit. From softened butter to the essential molasses, each component plays a crucial role. Dark brown sugar adds a depth of flavor, while the mix of spices creates a symphony for your taste buds.
Savoring Every Bite
Allow your cookies to cool completely before diving in, ensuring a melt-in-your-mouth experience. These coastal delights, with their firm yet tender centers, will keep you coming back for more. You can store them in an airtight container for up to two weeks, maintaining their freshness.
Simple Gingerbread Cookie Recipe – Complete!
There you have it—simple gingerbread cookies with a coastal twist, bringing joy to your holiday table. Dive into the magic of the season with these flavorful treats, and let the coastal charm elevate your festivities. Happy baking!
Seaside Magic: A Simple Gingerbread Cookie Recipe with a Coastal Twist
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened (113g)
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar tightly packed (100g)
- ½ cup molasses (120ml)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour (345g)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- cookie icing (homemade or store bought)
- Blend together softened butter, sugar, and molasses using an electric or stand mixer with a paddle attachment until the mixture achieves a creamy and well-combined texture.
- Incorporate the egg and vanilla extract into the mixture, stirring until well-combined. Don’t fret if the mixture appears piecey or seems to separate; this is normal, and it will harmonize when the dry ingredients are added.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and an aromatic blend of spices including ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
- With the mixer set to low speed, gradually introduce the dry ingredient mixture into the butter mixture, ensuring the dough becomes smooth, cohesive, and fully combined.
- Divide the resulting dough into two parts (we recommend using a spatula, it might be a little sticky) and tightly wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 3 hours or, for optimal results, leave it overnight.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (alternatively, you can bake cookies directly on an ungreased baking sheet).
- Flour a clean surface generously and lightly dust the dough as well (refer to the note for guidance).
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to an approximately ¼” thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your desired shapes.
- Transfer the cut cookies to the prepared baking sheet using a spatula, ensuring they are spaced at least 2 inches apart. Place them in the preheated 375F (190C) oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before diving into the delightful decorating process.
Whether you’re unwrapping presents in a cozy coastal cottage, basking in the festive waves of holiday cheer at home, or simply craving a delightful blend of warmth and spice, this gingerbread cookie recipe is your key to seasonal bliss. The aroma of ginger and spices will fill your space, creating an ambiance that effortlessly bridges the gap between vacation vibes and the comforting familiarity of home.
If you’re a local looking to infuse coastal charm into your traditions or a visitor yearning for a taste of the seaside during the festivities, these gingerbread delights offer the perfect balance.