Welcome to the beautiful Crystal Coast, where the sun, sand, and sea beckon you to experience the joys of beach biking. As the premier vacation rentals and real estate company on the North Carolina Coast, Bluewater is excited to introduce you to the wonders of beach biking and support local businesses in the area. So, grab your sunscreen, hop on a bike, and let’s explore the world of beach biking together!
Beach Biking 101
Beach biking is a thrilling way to immerse yourself in the coastal charm while getting some exercise. When hitting the sandy trails, consider using fat-tire bikes, as they are designed to handle the soft terrain effortlessly. Beaches are fun to pedal on, but without the correct tires, it may be difficult. Before you start, remember to adjust your tire pressure to ensure a smooth and stable ride. Towns like Beaufort have bike maintenance stations, free for the public to utilize.
Safety is paramount, so wear a helmet and stay mindful of pedestrians and other bikers. Always obey local rules and regulations, and keep an eye on the tides to avoid getting stuck in soft sand areas.
Beach biking is one of the top things to do on the Southern Outer Banks.
Top Beach Biking Routes on the Crystal Coast
The Crystal Coast boasts an array of biking trails that cater to all skill levels. One must-try route is the Fort Macon State Park Trail, offering a captivating mix of maritime forest and ocean views. Another gem is the Atlantic Beach Causeway, where you can witness stunning sunsets over Bogue Sound.
If you prefer a more leisurely ride, Emerald Isle’s bike paths wind through picturesque neighborhoods, offering glimpses of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean. These routes are perfect for families looking to enjoy a relaxing biking experience.
Many seaside towns on the North Carolina Coast offer bike path runs, as well as designated areas on the road and highway, specifically for bicycles. Be sure to read signs in the area you wish to ride your bike.
Where to Rent Bikes on the Crystal Coast
Not a beach bike owner? No problem! The Crystal Coast is home to several fantastic businesses where you can rent top-quality bikes. Check out these local favorites for your biking needs:
- Beach Wheels Bike Rentals: Located in Salter Path, Beach Wheels Bike Rentals offers a wide selection of bikes, including beach cruisers and fat-tire bikes. They even provide delivery services to your vacation rental, making it incredibly convenient.
- Isle Cycle: Formerly Hwy 58 Bikes, Isle Cycle in Emerald Isle offers bike rentals and accessories. With their friendly service and well-maintained bikes, you’re in for a delightful ride.
- Beachside Bikes: Just two blocks from the beach, you’ll have easy access to plenty of options for scooting around the island. Bonus, Beachside Bikes will give you a thorough safety demonstration upon rental.
- Check your marina: If you are arriving in the area by boat, ask your closest marina about bike rentals. Many offer bikes to boaters since transportation would be limited without them.
Where to Buy Bikes on the Crystal Coast
If you’ve fallen in love with beach biking and wish to make it a regular hobby, consider purchasing a bike from these local bike shops:
- Isle Cycle: Like their rentals, this shop has a diverse range of bikes for sale, including specialty bikes for all ages. Their knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect fit.
- EJW Outdoors: With locations in Morehead City and Emerald Isle, locals and visitors should have no problem finding the right fit for their next bike ride.
Beach Biking Events and Tours
Embrace the sense of community on the Crystal Coast by joining beach biking events and guided tours. Mile by mile, there is plenty to see while biking along the coast. Those miles are even more fun in a group.
Keep an eye on our monthly events listings for group rides that allow you to explore the area’s stunning coastal beauty with fellow biking enthusiasts. You may also ask the local bike shops if they know of any organized rides in your area.
Safety Tips and Environmental Awareness
While beach biking is a delightful activity, we must also be mindful of our surroundings. Always follow designated biking paths and respect wildlife habitats. Leave nothing but your footprints and tire tracks behind to preserve the pristine beauty of the Crystal Coast for generations to come.
Beach biking on the Crystal Coast is an experience like no other. As you pedal along sandy shores and soak in breathtaking vistas, you’ll create lasting memories of this stunning coastal paradise.
Bluewater is proud to support local businesses, and we hope this guide inspires you to explore the Crystal Coast on two wheels.
Need the perfect vacation rental for your beach biking adventures?
Discover our array of vacation rental properties on the Crystal Coast and plan your beach biking adventure today. Don’t forget to share your biking experiences with us using #BluewaterForMe on social media!
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
By law, in North Carolina, bicyclists and passengers less than 16 years old must wear safety helmets while riding on public roads. However, we encourage all bicyclists to wear a helmet. Helmets are the first line of defense in crashes.
You may only ride your bike on designated bike paths and bike lanes. Please check local signage where you are riding your bike for bike routes and lanes.
Due to the salt and moisture in the air, beach bikes are often prone to rusting quickly. After beach biking, wipe down your bike thoroughly. If you cannot keep it stored indoors, or in a storage shed, cover it with a bike cover or even a heavy blanket to protect it.