John Galland was born in 1698 to the second Governor of Colonial Carolina Charles Eden. At the age of 28, Galland received a patent for acreage in Core Sound signed by his brother-in-law John Lovick. A year later, John Galland became Clerk of Court for Carteret County and continued in the position until retirement in 1729 and died in 1730. The northern part of Galland’s acreage in Beaufort became known as Galland’s Neck, Gallant’s Point, or Gallant’s Creek. Although the acreage became known as such, it was originally spelled Golland.
*Info Courtesy of Mary Washaw and BeaufortHistory