The Cape Lookout Lighthouse, also known as the “Diamond Lady” is located on the Cape Lookout National Seashore and is one of 8 towering ladies that sprinkle the coast of North Carolina, all with an important role – to guide you home. There aren’t many places where you can enjoy the beach, get a little bit of exercise and learn some coastal history all at once. With 188 steps to reach the top – you will not find a better view on the Crystal Coast than the one you will experience from the top of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse! If you are not vacationing with your boat, you can take a ferry over to the Diamond Lady. We personally love to be chauffeured to this amazing seashell haven by the local ferry, it is a wonderful ride that gets you there quickly! Don’t forget to be on the lookout for the Shackleford ponies on your boat ride over.
If you happen to fit the Cape in your vacation plans, here are a few things to know:
- Bring a large bag to collect seashells and other sandy treasures you find
- Make sure to bring a bag for trash, no trash is left on the island, so what you bring on must come off
- Wear comfortable shoes, the climb up the tower is a short one, but you want to be well equipped
- If you’d like to bring a pair of binoculars, you can literally see for miles from the top
- Bring a lunch to enjoy on the eastern side of the island, the beach is spectacular